Have you had the time to take a good look at your roof recently? Would you be able to know the right time to call a roofing professional to inspect your roof?
Or has your roof been giving signs that it needs either a repair or replacement, but you are at a crossroad because you don’t know the next steps to take? Maybe you don’t even know what signs to look for in order to properly decide. You are not alone; most homeowners face this challenge.
The roof of your house, depending on its material, has been manufactured to last for a given period of time. Your roof doesn’t just get damaged all at once; damage is a thing that happens gradually. Your roof is one of the most important parts of your house (if not the most important) and it should be properly checked from time to time.
So how do you decide if you need to repair your roof or replace it? Calling a professional roof contractor to help inspect your roof will save you lots of trouble. However, to help you decide what you need to do with your roof, here are five warning signs that will help you know if your roof needs repair or replacement.
5 Warning Signs the Help You Decide When to Repair or Replace Your Roof
- Dark stained or dirty-looking areas on your roof: When specific areas on your roof suddenly have dark stains while other parts don’t, it is an indicator that your roof needs attention. Fungi or algae growth is most likely the cause of some parts of the roof looking abnormally black or dirty. This problem often occurs in warm, humid climates. Algae are quite infamous for eating away at the base of your roof’s shingles, causing them to loosen and decay. The earlier you can get this looked at and treated, the higher your chances of only needing a repair.
- Shingle and sheathing deterioration: Mold, the sidekick of algae is one of the major factors that bring deterioration to shingles, or even worse the sheathing of your roof. Mold and algae cause shingles to decay by eating away their organic base. If the actions of mold and algae go on undetected and it gets to the sheathing panels, then it may be too late as the shingles and rafters of the roof are connected by the sheathing. When this connection gets weakened, your roof becomes vulnerable to high winds. If you notice that your roof is sagging in some areas, it could be a sign of a bigger problem referred to as “roof rot;” roof rot can lead to the possible collapse of your roof. You could be saving additional repair costs and future headaches by having a professional roofing contractor inspect your roof.
- Missing, buckled, cracked or curled shingles: These signs serve as indications that your roof’s shingles may be approaching the end of their useful life. Due to the prolonged exposure to the different elements nature may throw at them, the shingles on your roof will not last forever. Depending on where you live and the quality of the shingle manufacturer, the lifespan of your typical asphalt/fiberglass shingle is 20-25 years. The granules that add color to shingle material and protect them from UV rays begins to wear off, leaving the material exposed to elements of nature. The continuous exposure of shingles causes them to crack or curl upwards at the edges. This cracking, at times, can eventually lead to shingles breaking into pieces or even flying off the roof during storms with really high winds.
- Blistering and/or peeling of outside paint: This is one of the easiest warning signs, and of course the most ignored sign. Excessive moisture or high humidity causes the blistering or peeling of outside paint, which is as a result of poor ventilation. This is most common in the attic.
- Water marks on the ceilings and/or interior mildew growth: Not all roof leaks can be seen from inside the house, but if you do see stains and watermarks on your ceilings or walls, it is a sure sign of a leak. Roofing leaks may be caused by insufficient underlayment or deteriorating flashing, which can be repaired without you having to break the bank.
Looking out for these warning signs, you will be able to know when your roof needs attention. In order to save yourself some additional cost or headaches, always let a professional roofing contractor care for your roof.
Please feel free to give us a call at 951-402-7663 and we at Howard & Sons, Inc. would be happy to come out and give you a roof inspection or certification. Each repair we do is follow up by a 5 year repair warranty.